Postcard from Portland


Karma has always blessed me with amazing travels.  I'm at the end of a camping road trip that has lasted 10 days. Traveling has been my refuge for many years. It's a time when I get to enjoy my solitude and appreciate what life has to offer.  I'm currently in between jobs and so I wasted no time to take this window of opportunity to do as much traveling as possible. 

Lower Oneonta Falls
Unfortunately I had to cut this trip short due to work-related appointments.  However within those 10 days I got to visit 3 National Parks and partake on some much needed hiking and camping in Oregon and Washington.  These 2 states were amazing and illustrate why nature makes America such a beautiful country.

I was lucky to see Crater Lake under a clear blue sky, scramble over a log jam and trek through chest-high water in the Oneonta Gorge, spot several Hoary marmots along Mount Rainier, and hike miles in remote wilderness in Olympic National Park while picking and eating wild berries.

What makes this trip even more special is that I got to visit Maitripa College in Portland to receive a teaching from Yangsi Rinpoche.

Driving in Oregon and Washington was a culture shock due to the lack of road rage.  Drivers were very courteous, especially when I needed to change lanes.  

The weather was perfect for camping except for the freezing morning in Crater Lake.  

The outdoor culture is always something I look forward to.  Although I enjoy the nature and watching the animals, my favorite part is meeting people from all over the country and the world.  I met a man from Michigan who converted his van into an RV with a solar powered kitchenette. I met a local in Washington's NW peninsula who grew up in the Hoh Rainforest because his dad worked as a ranger.  I got to exchange travel information with other travelers. 

As I am writing this post, I'm at a Motel 6 in Portland about to head back home.  According to Google Maps, the total drive will be 16 hours.  Obviously I will have to stop somewhere to rest, but I'm not sure where and exactly when.  One of the gifts of traveling is the lack of planning!

Crater Lake
Multnomah Falls
Mount St. Helens


Top of Pinnacle Peak, Mount Rainier National Park
Lake Crescent, Olympic National Park



Comments