Life in Bullhead City

Oatman
Four weeks ago I arrived in Bullhead City, Arizona to begin my 3 month clinical rotation as part of my nutrition internship. Before I left California, I tried not to talk too much about the move unless people asked about it. The more excited I am about something, the more I try not to talk about it because I won't shut up.

So far I'm loving this city in the middle of nowhere. There's no traffic or smog. The air is clear and my stress level has been surprisingly low. Bullhead City's population is about 40,000 and is located 90 miles south of Las Vegas and down HWY 95 from Needles, California. I found a room to rent for $350 a month in a residential area off of McCormick Blvd. As an added bonus I am paying 30 cents less per gallon for gas. With the lack of dining options and minimal stress, I don't eat out as much.



I'm interning at a wonderful hospital from 8-5. When I'm off I typically come home to finish assignments. How uneventful my life is. But on the weekends I elope.  And that's when the fun begins!

Although my hometown of Orange County is only a 4 hour drive, I rather go a different direction. Sure there's nothing to do in Bullhead City itself, but there's a wealth of roadside attractions nearby. Urban exploration is my way of falling in love over again in my perpetual life of singlehood.

I'm making it my goal to do as much traveling during my stint in Arizona to prove that this underrated area has so much to offer.

Burros are the main attraction of Oatman
My first roadside attraction was Oatman, a quick 30-40 minute drive from Bullhead City. It's a cute but touristy ghost town with a string of cheesy souvenir shops and friendly feral donkeys.

Itchy feet took me to Kingman the next day.  The town isn't exciting, but drive a few miles down Route 66 lies a few quirky road stops.  First one is the Outpost Saloon. I didn't bother going in but found the outhouses under the sign amusing. Next on Route 66 is Giganticus Headicus. The giant sculpture resides on the same grounds as a run down motel/ trailer park. Lastly on the same path is Hackberry General Store, which sells souvenirs and confectionaries. Outside the store is a collection of old cars and gas pumps.


Outpost Saloon, Kingman 
Outpost Saloon
Giganticus Headicus
Kozy Korner Motel and Trailer Park 
Hackberry General Store
Hackberry
Hackberry General Store



Comments