From globe trotting gypsy to full-time drone


The thought of work and routine brings shudders to many who identify themselves as savvy travelers.  Being a traveler means living by no one’s timeline, and free to explore the world as one pleases.  

One way to beat LA traffic-with a map of all the Starbucks
Unless you’re a trust fund baby, there comes a time when finances begins to down trend and budgeting leftover savings is futile.  When this moment turns into fruition, two scenarios come to mind.  (1) conform to the fringes of society and (2) go back home to earn money.

With scenario (1), chronic homelessness, compromised hygiene and food insecurity may result.

With scenario (2), the quirky traveler may find herself trapped in a mundane job that consumes her sanity, all for the sake of paying bills.

In my case, traveling brought me many joys, but also a samsara of painful awakenings and dreadful “adult” responsibilities upon returning home. 

Eventually backpacking the world became exhausting as I could no longer tolerate sharing the same bathroom with fellow filthy travellers in various hostels.  I could no longer tolerate carrying 35 pounds of strategically packed bags while transitioning from airports to busses to taxis. I could no longer tolerate having to toss toilet paper into waste bins due to third world plumbing.

In my late 20’s I decided to pursue higher education. It was a hard decision because I had to momentarily relinquish any dream of long-term traveling.  I know I had to plan a career in order to find a tolerable way of spending 8 hours of my daily life for the sake of W2’s  

While balancing my studies and multiple jobs I managed to traverse 4 continents.  The culmination of it all was when I completed my internship AKA preparing myself for a “real” job.

Ahh the joys of being home!
I now work 40 hours a week with hours forever lost in LA traffic.  I have completed four full months of the beginning of my “dreadful” career.  Any plans for travelling now hangs on the mercy of my supervisors.

Do I resent the life I have now and wish that I could have carried on with my gypsy ways? Absolutely not. 

Although I cherish my travelling experiences, I don’t miss them.  I have learned that the only thing that is real is the present moment.  But of course I still daydream of going to exotic places. These days I maintain my traveling spirit with spontaneous camping trips and photo safaris.

People warned to stay away full-time work as long as I could, and I did just that. 



Comments