My brief stay in Nepal

I can't believe my time in Nepal is up.  I'm sad that this trip was too short due to work life, but happy I've made it out here.

As I am writing my first and only blog while in this country, I am sitting in Himalaya Java Coffee, the Nepalese equivalent to Starbucks.  I have neglected to update this blog due to Nepal's spotty wifi.


So why did I come to Nepal? you may wonder.  To be honest I don't know how it started but I developed a fascination with Nepal about 2 years ago.  I think it was because it's completely different from any other country I've been to and seems like a calmer version of India, another country I've been wanting to go but too intimidated.

But what really pushed me to book a flight to Nepal was my newborn interest in studying Tibetan Buddhism and the desire to witness first-hand the devastation of last year's earthquake.  Sadly a lot of the UNESCO sites are obscured by scaffolding, tarp, and mounds of fallen bricks and debris.   Kathmandu's iconic Durbar Square leaves much to the imagination.

Here's a quick and dirty rundown on what I did during my short but sweet stay...

Day 1
Met a lovely American couple at Elbrus Hotel and explored Kathmandu's Durbar Square (admission 1000 rupees).

Kathmandu's Durbar 
Day 2
Went to Boudhanath (250 rupees), Shechan Monastery and Pashupatinath Temple (1000 rupees).

Boudhanath Stupa
Bagmati River by Pashupatinath Temple

Day 3
Visited Swayambhu (250 rupees) and Kopan Monastery.

Swayambhu Stupa
Day 4
Failed attempt to view Mount Everest with Buddha Air and urban hiking in Kathmandu's Thamel district.

Days 5, 6, 7
Stayed at Kopan Monestary.

Stupa Garden at Kopan Monastery
Day 8
Returned to Elbrus Home in preparation to go to Nagarkot.

Days 9 and 10
Overnight stay in Nagarkot at Club Himalya Hotel.

Day 11
Final full day of Nepal. Last minute souvenir shopping. Flying out at 11:15 pm.

Stay tuned for more detailed postings of my Nepal trip!


Comments