Two Days and Nights in Lassen Volcanic National Park

Day 1
I entered Lassen Volcanic National Park from the South Entrance. My first stop was the Visitor Center for information on what to see and do. Upon the suggestion of the ranger, I began my Lassen experience by trekking the Mill Creek Falls Trail.  It's a 3.8 miles round trip from the Visitor Center.

Further up the road is Sulphur Works. It is the most easily accessible geothermal site where you can stand next to boiling mudpots along the sidewalk and inhale the rotten egg smell. No hike is involved. Just park your car and walk along the sidewalk by the road.

I relaxed the rest of the day at Manzanita Campground.
Day 2
I began the morning by breaking down camp. Manzanita Campground was a lovely setup, but the RVs and families were too loud for my liking. Driving back south on the main road, I stopped for some photo ops at a meadow near the Hat Lake Trail and the stunning Lake Helen.  Now onto the highlight of the Park! Bumpass Hell! Finding the trail was a bit of pain at the beginning but eventually I was rewarded by the pungent mother of all rotten egg smells. By midday I set up camp at the Southwest Campground (tent only wahoo! No RV's!).  After enjoying a lunch of instant noodles, I drove out to Warner Valley to hike the trail to Devil's Kitchen.

GPS system on the right
Bumpass Hell
Chipmunk along the Bumpass Hell Trail
Emerald Lake
Warner Valley & Devil's Kitchen
Southwest Campground

Comments