Camping Pinnacles National Park

Logistical Breakdown...
Length: 2 days & 1 night
Driving duration & distance: from Orange County-5.5 hours and 307 miles
Route: 5N - 325N - through Coalinga - CA 198 - CA 25 - CA 146
Vehicle: Honda Civic HF
Camera: Canon 30D with Sigma Wide Angle 10-22mm & Samsung S2
On my playlist: Kings of Leon, Neon Trees, Capital Cities, Fitz and the Tantrums, Walk the Moon, Cake, etc...

Camping info...
Only one campsite in the National Park, which is within walking distance to the Visitor Center.
$23/night

Pinnacles Nat'l Park is known for...
Talus caves
California Condors
Being very small for a National Park
Being underrated
Rock climbing
Well marked hiking trails
Newest National Park
Unbearably hot during the summer

This trip was a somewhat last minute rendezvous. I was able to book a campsite 2 weeks ahead of time. Originally I wanted to leave on a Saturday in order to make it back home by Sunday in order to go to work on Monday. However the next available Saturday wasn't bookable for another 2 months, where it would be as hot as Satan's butthole. However there happened to be a campsite opened on Easter Sunday. Fate was talking to me. Camping in Pinnacles was a divine way to celebrate the day of resurrection, giving meaning to the concept of rebirth and new beginnings.  I'm not a religious person, but I embrace symbolism in any form. On a spiritual note I'm a formerly devout Catholic who became enamored in Buddhist teachings after traveling the world on a shoestring budget with a tortured soul and a broken heart.

So why did I come to Pinnacles?
I first learned about this park from an episode of Motions, a show about outdoor traveling in the States. My goal is to visit as many National Parks. Luckily Pinnacles is a 5.5 hours away from home. Pinnacles gained National Park status in 2012 after being a National Monument since 1908.

What I accomplished in 2 days...
Day 1
I arrived at the park around 11 am and headed straight to the Visitor Center at the East Entrance. Looking for a short and scenic hike, the park ranger recommended the Bear Gulch Trail which leads to the Bear Gulch Cave and Bear Gulch Reservoir.  From there I headed back east on the Rim Trail which led to the High Peaks Trail, which culminates at an overlook that meets the Condor Gulch Trail. That's when I descended back where I came from. Although NPS considers this a strenuous trail, I found it to be moderate. The trail is well maintained, meaning that you don't have to worry about sketchy footing. It's the elevation gain that makes the hike arduous. Even though I normally get winded easily, I made it to the top without breathing difficulty.

Day 2
Starting from the Old Pinnacles Trails Parking Lot, I hiked toward the Balconies Cave and upward toward Machete Ridge and Balconies Cliffs.

More tidbits...

A couple of friends from San Jose came down to join me at my campsite for some campfire and strawberries. Cheeky raccoons tried to steal our food. Sleeping on my inflatable mattress is uncomfortable.
Campsite #4

Bear Gulch Trail

Hiking away from Bear Gulch Reservoir
Bear Gulch Reservoir


Machete

Balconies



Bear Gulch Trail

By the East Entrance

Bear Gulch Trail


Wildflowers in Priest Valley





Comments