Restless and itching to get out of Canoa

My total stay in Canoa consist of 3 nights and a tortuous long wait for the overnight bus to Quito. From Quito's Quitumbre bus station, me and 2 other Americans will catch a bus to Banos.

It's Monday early evening as I am writing this entry.  We are killing time at the Surf Shak until our 9:45 pm bus arrives. There's wifi and overpriced greasy food here. In an hour we will be able to order cocktails at 2 for 1.

After waiting hours for a French couple who occupied the only 2 outlets, I sharked my way to those plugs to recharge my MacBook.  Finally some e-entertainment thanks to Youtube and Candy Crush.

It is the beginning of the low travel season now that Ecuadorians have recently returned to school. Canoa is a windy ghost town with no sign of sunshine this time of the year. I'm a sucker for small village beach towns, but not Canoa. Perhaps it's the consistent overcast that is creating such a somber atmosphere. Sadly from my experience, this town is only fun if you are drunk. Don't get me wrong. I don't regret coming here at all. I'll travel anywhere for the sake of going there. Canoa is just not the kind of place that leaves a memorable impression.

I just ate a BLT sandwich with fries which will cost me $6.50. The Surf Shak is a ripoff in terms of low quality food. But I see the price of the food as a wifi premium.

Saturday night is the liveliest day of the week in Canoa. Tons of Ecuadorian come here to let loose with the help of loud music and booze. But when Sunday evening arrives, it becomes a ghost town. To make things more deserted, alcohol is not allowed to be sold on Sundays. All the boarded bars makes the place look like an apocalypse had passed by.

The scary mannequin at the Surf Shak

An empty dirt road

Same dirt road with overcast angle

Closed for business

There's light at the end, I swear!



Comments

Post a Comment