What to do when you suffer from post-travel depression

Do you ever find yourself bored to tears after a trip of a lifetime?

If you answered yes, you are not the only one.

You may be suffering from an acute case of post-travel depression. Although the DSM has failed to recognize this condition, it is serious and warrants intervention. Without intervention the prognosis can be detrimental.

In my past experiences, I have come home both unscathed and discombobulated. In order to continue my travels, I had to think of an escape plan in case I came home to lackluster.  Oh yes. Traveling can create a vicious cycle of emotional lows and highs.


Life at home can be colorless and mundane, leaving you to plan your next travels. Once you're in an exotic location, you are over the moon in-love with the moment. As soon as you come home you realize how depressing life can be, which throws you into a spiraling path of despair and boredom. No one understands why you travel. No one cares about your travels.

Now back to that escape plan I'm talking about - I have figured out (at least for now) how to prevent myself from falling back into that post-travel despair. Now everyone is unique and what works for my might not work for everyone else.

Plan your next travel. Planning something in the future can give you something to look forward to. Don't worry about the financial aspect. If it's meant to be the funds will come through. In the mean time start doing your research to occupy your boredom. It's when we do nothing that we become restless and depressed.

Find a hobby that is relevant to your travels.  If you have a specific talent such as photography or writing, tie that into your traveling experiences. If you have taken amazing photos during your trips try to showcase them at a gallery or submit them to a local newspaper. If you're into writing, create a blog or start writing a memoir about your travels. In my spare time I work on touching up photos from my travels. My newest venture however has been jewelry making in which my designs revolve around the places I've been too.

Go on day or weekend trip. To keep that traveling spirit alive back home, continue to travel but locally. Because we are enthralled with the abundance of beauty around the world, we neglect the beauty that is nearby our home.

Invest in camping gear. Camping is another great way to travel without having to go far. It's also another way to meet people who are currently traveling. Fortunately being in Southern California, I am not too far from some amazing National and State Parks.

Read travel guides and memoirs. This one can be a repeat of my first tip. What I find therapeutic after my travels is going to the nearest Barnes and Nobles to read Lonely Planet guides. These books give me ideas on where I want to go next. On the other hand travel memoirs will give you a first hand account into someone else's travels, leaving you inspired for your next trip.

Do you have any tips to keep yourself from the post-travel blues?

Photo by TheVRChris/ CC by 

Comments