A failed fat challenge and a newfound love in New Orleans

Before my trip to the "Big Easy," I envisioned myself eating up a storm in one of the most gastronomically diverse eating meccas of the United States. However that wasn't the case. In fact I actually lost a couple of pounds upon returning home. In essence, my fat challenge was a big fail.

My budget and appetite wouldn't allow for an eating frenzy. New Orleans is definitely not a cheap eat kind of place, and with all the walking, one could easily burn a good amount of calories.


Unfortunately 5 days is no where near sufficient to sample even half of NOLA's cuisine. I still didn't get to drink a mint julep or a sazerac, or one of the lame-looking cocktails in 2-foot tall souvenir cups. I realized that I'm not much of a travel eater. Rather I'm a survival eater. A good amount of what I ate came from the Walmart down the street from the hostel. 

On a more positive note, I did enjoy some fantastic grub and flavorful libations!

The big takeaway from my trip to NOLA was that I realize how easy it is to travel alone within my own terrain, especially on a shoestring budget. At the hostel, I met people from Europe, Australia, Asian and South America who were backpacking through the States.

I had fallen in love with traveling in the United States!

For my first solo national trip to a major city, New Orleans was the perfect choice. So much cultural events and history, and so much to do.

Other tidbits...

Safety. This is the one that everyone is curious to know. Although safety is relative and dependent on each individual's common sense, it's a yes for the most part. Just stay within the touristy areas and take taxis when it's dark.

Cost. New Orleans is not cheap. According to fellow travelers, a bed in a hostel can range from $16-$25. Sandwiches can easily cost you more than $10. The bus system is fantastic and the fare is only $1.25. Specialty cocktails with fancy alcohol like bourbon or whiskey will be cheaper here than anywhere else in the country.

Best time to go. The months of March and April seem to have the most pleasant climate. It feels just like Southern California this time of the year.

Must-do. Eat beignets, po'boys, and muffalettas. Try all the signature Southern cocktails. Walk aimlessly in the French Quarters. Visit at least one cemetery. Take photos of the houses in the Garden District. Most importantly, have awesome conversations with fellow travelers.

French Quarters
House in the Garden District
Lafayette Cemetery
Beignets hot off the press at Cafe du Monde

Comments