Zion or Bryce? Where should I camp?

Since Zion and Bryce National Parks are within an hour drive apart, it's a tough decision on which of the two would be a better camping option. If you visit one of these parks, most likely you'll visit the other.

My answer: Zion!

Especially if you're traveling from the West (I drove from for Southern California).

Here's why Zion is the better choice...

1. Proximity to the main entrance. The campgrounds, both Watchman and South, are a walking distance from the Visitor Center and main entrance. It's always a rarity to reach a campground right after the entrance of most National Parks.

2. Charming town right outside the main entrance. This may be a controversial one. Proper infrastructure exist immediately outside the South Entrance in the quaint town of Springdale. Plenty of shops for geological souvenirs and diverse dining option are at your convenience. If you need access to free wifi and a latte, the eclectic Cafe Soleil is a good choice. This is especially a plus if you need a civilized break from the wilderness.

3. Breath-taking scenery at every angle. Both campgrounds are shadowed (depending on the time of day) by the imposing Watchman Mountain.

4. Virgin River along the banks of South Campground. Cold but refreshing, the running Virgin River is a soothing sound to fall asleep. Ultra fine red sand adds more beauty to the river. Getting a site next to the river will be a challenge.

5. One of the best shuttle systems. There is only one in-and-out route, so you won't have a problem figuring out which bus to take.

6. Diverse scenery, more to do. Different hiking trails will provide different sceneries. The Narrows is a must.


Watchman is reservable while the latter is first-come, first-serve. Both are within walking distance from the main entrance and within each other. I prefer South Campground because of the river, but chances of snatching a campsite is slim the later you arrived.

This is how I got my campsites..

Since Watchman is reservable online, I booked my first night there with the intent of finding a spot in South the next day. I was able to find a spot at 7:30 am. By 10 am, the grounds were completely booked. During peak season, it will be nearly impossible to reserve a campsite at Watchman, especially for consecutive nights, unless you book way ahead of time. As long as you you are able to book at least one night at Watchman and ready to breakdown camp and shark for another site in South, you'll be good. Otherwise don't be shy to ask to share a campsite.

Originally I thought about camping at least night at Bryce, but I didn't want to spend more time breaking and setting up camp. I'm glad I made that decision, and made a day trip from Zion. The shuttle system is not as efficient. One reason I would camp Bryce over Zion is for stargazing. But unless stargazing is not your main priority I no doubt I would choose Zion.

Watchman Campground

The Watchman

Comments