Randsburg - Red Rock Canyon State Park - Silver City in Bodfish

Before the start of the fall quarter, I made one last day trip to say good-bye to summer.  I've always been fascinated with western ghost towns so I decided to go to Randsburg, a former prosperous mining town. Originally I planned to stop by Johannesburg, also a former mining town, but passed on it because it looked too unwelcoming and post-apocalyptic for my solo outing.

Randsburg is about a 3 hour drive north of Orange County. The town is off the 395 with conspicuous signs pointing you to the right direction. The area is dotted with abandoned and dilapidated structures and antique shops.  

The first maintained historical structure that visitors will see is the jail. Drive a little further and turn left, and you'll find the more charming and colorful buildings, including the General Store, Post Office and a handful of other structures. 

Randsburg is almost empty on a weekday. Only the General Store, which also is a restaurant, and the museum were open when I visited. The only other people I saw were a handful of curious visitors and army guys training on ATV's. 

Red Rock Canyon State Park was my next stop, 30 minutes away from Randsburg. This particular site has been on my bucket list for almost 3 years. I have an affinity for unusual rock formations. There is a developed campground called Ricardo Campgrounds with no campers at the time of my visit. 

My last stop was Bodfish to see another ghost town called Silver City.  Bodfish is a small city and Silver City is more like a gated amusement park with surviving structures imported from the wild wild west era. There's an admission of $5.50 to enter. I arrived after the closing time of 4 pm. But luckily the owner, who also lives on the property, allowed me to enter. Jay is his name and he was an eccentric character who was more than enthusiastic to answer any questions. During my visit, Izzy the tabby "tour guide" approached me and accompanied me throughout my time. 

On my way back I took the curvy 178 west to Bakersfield to catch the 99 back to Orange County. The 178 is a pleasant treat that runs along the Kern River. 

My Impression...
Randsburg can be intimidating when you first arrive. I wasn't sure where to start because everything was closed down. At first I was worried about locals giving me dirty stares for gawking. Being alone also added fuel to the thought. However, small town locals are usually welcoming and appreciate incoming business. Just as much as we are curious about them, they are of us outsiders. I wanted to explore more but I was a little intimidated and anxious to see Red Rock. I would like to return and explore the nearby streets on foot when the weather cools down. 

Sadly, like other old mining towns, Randsburg's businesses seem to be struggling. What keeps money coming in are the visitors and ATV enthusiasts. 

Red Rock Canyon was absolutely stunning, making the long drive worth every minute. The geological formations on the face of the mountain is the main attraction. There a couple of hiking trails within the park, but I passed due to the heat and my time constraint. 

Silver City is really a gated museum of old western buildings and antique than a legitimate ghost town located in the town of Bodfish. Jay, the owner/curator is a quirky and friendly character that adds personality to the place. Izzy the tabby "tour guide" also brings charm to Silver City. 


Too bad this place was closed when I was there. Randsburg

Randsburg

More of Randsburg's closed shops

Red Rock Canyon State Park in California, not Nevada

Ricardo Campground, Red Canyon State Park

Hagen Canyon, Red Rock Canyon State Park

Silver City, Bodfish

Silver City, Bodfish
Izzy is the official tour guide and security guard of Silver City


Comments