Day 10: Another Day in Kampala, 6/29/12

I and two other girls at the hostel went for a run. As we approached the shantier side of the block, we received too many funny stares from locals. As three western girls, it felt uncomfortable to run in a neighborhood where the houses are made from bricks, mud and sheet metal. Plus a few of the local men were mocking and hooting at us.
When we turned onto the main road, we knew we had to abruptly end our run because the dirt blowing in the traffic was unbearable for our lungs. And also because my endurance stinks.
Upon arriving at the hostel, the guard at the gate laughed at us because our run was so short.  I don’t think any of us broke a sweat. Nevertheless it was a nice tour of the block.
At around noon, we headed out to the Friday crafts fair. We hired bodas, which are random motorbikers who earn extra cash to drive people around like taxis, to take us there.  Sarah, the receptionist, told us that the crafts market was in a part of town called Kibule, and that’s where we told the bodas to take us.

They took us to Kibule Supermaket instead of the open-air crafts market.  Since the rain was pounding hard, we got off the motorbikes, paid the bodas, and dashed across the street to a Lebanese restaurant to protect us from the rain.

 We hired another boda to take us to the crafts market.  At the crafts market, I bargained for earrings, necklaces and a zebra stripped pashmina.
I’m enjoying Uganda very much at the moment. They people here are helpful and soft-spoken.  I’ve met a lot of great travelers that I hope I will see in the future. I’m looking forward to my next safari which takes off on Sunday.

Boda boda: 7,000 / 2.80
Breakfast: 7,500 / 3
Lassi 4,000 / 1.60
Groceries: 3,000 / 1.20
Crafts (jewelry): 30,000 / 11.80
Street food: 1,200 / .50
Dorm: 8
Night of debauchery: N/A
Total: 40.90 USD

Negotiating a deal with the boda bodas


Comments