A Taste of Indonesia: Bali, Gili Islands, and Lombok

Date
1/1/11 - 1/24/11


Route in 3 Weeks
Denpasar Airport - Gili Trawangan - Kuta Lombok - Kuta Bali - Ubud - Padangbai - Ubud


My Cheap Bastard Expenses
Flight: $1141
Emergency passport renewal:  170
accomodation:  7-25/night
food:  2-5/meal
souvenir paintings: 5-33
one hour massage: 6
3 hour spa treatment: 20-50
Happy endings: priceless

Length of Travel
3 weeks

The country of Indonesia is made up of almost 18,000 islands yet most foreign visitors will likely flock to the island of Bali due to its rigorous marketing and Hollywood publicity, leaving parts of the archipelago to be almost foreigner free.  Lack of travelers in pristine village scenery can be inspiring bliss or quiet boredom.

Main Attractions
Secluded islands, world-class surfing, swanky Bali resorts, postcard perfect beaches, Bali's Hindu culture, extreme cheap massages and fresh juices

Safety Concerns
I felt almost no danger walking alone at night and consider this area to be the safest place I've ever traveled. A British expat living in Bali described it as "crime-free." However no place is crime free and the when theft does occurs (which is not common), it will likely take place in Kuta (Bali, not Lombok).

DO NOT SMUGGLE ILLEGAL DRUGS! Offenders can receive the death penalty. There are also reported incidents where passengers alleged that drugs were unsuspectingly placed in their luggage. INVEST IN A LOCK!

Since I travel with a big backpack with several openings, I went to REI to purchase an oversize lockable duffel bag which fits my backpack. I also made sure not to pick up my bag from the carousel unless I saw that my lock was intact.

Making the Decision
After traveling throughout Latin America for the past 3 years, I yearned to return to Asia for its spices and mysticism, not to mention the frugal possibilities.

Comments